In the world of life sciences organizations, Pharmacovigilance (PV) plays the role of a vigilant guardian by diligently watching over the safety and well-being of patients. To understand more about the intricate landscape of PV, Indegene embarked on a journey and delved deep into current practices, unveiling the challenges that PV professionals are determined to conquer, exploring how diverse organizations harness the power of technology, and catching a glimpse of the future. We at Indegene listened to the demands that organizations placed upon their vendors and uncovered the unmet needs of PV professionals. This industry survey report sheds light on the industry's unwavering commitment to the safety of patients, the pursuit of process excellence, and the untapped potential of transformative technology. This report also serves as a benchmarking opportunity for PV teams across the globe, ready to improve their performance against competitors.
The survey encompassed the insights of 100 PV professionals, reflecting a diverse and widespread distribution of regional responsibilities. 95% of respondents represented safety and PV operations, with the remaining 5% represented IT operations for PV and safety (Figure 2) across a healthy mix of large, mid-size, and small pharmaceutical organizations. Notably, 32% of respondents held roles focusing solely on North America, whereas 28% held global roles with North America as their primary focus market. 14% concentrated solely on the EU 5 countries, and another 14% held global roles with EU5 as their primary target market (Figure 4). Within the realm of PV and/or IT operations, the majority of professionals, comprising 76%, were overseeing adverse event case management, followed closely by 74% specializing in Signal and Risk Management, and 66% had Aggregate Reporting responsibilities (Figure 5), indicating multiple focus areas per PV professional. This survey also ensured an equitable distribution of seniority levels, with 20% each representing CXOs/EVPs/Presidents, SVPs, and VPs, while 40% occupied roles as Executive Directors, Senior Directors, and Directors (Figure 1). This comprehensive survey tried to mirror the multifaceted landscape of organizations across the PV spectrum.